Bird lovers across the Maritimes are being advised to put away their bird feeders as a deadly infection is spreading across the region. Avian parasite trichomoniasis has been detected in dozens of birds in the maritime provinces. The deadly infection affects bird’s throats, making them unable to swallow. Bird feeders allow the parasite to spread quickly from bird to bird as the parasite spreads in the seeds. While the parasite does not effect humans, dogs or cats Maritimers are being advised to take their feeders down and carefully wash them to help stop the spread of the infection.