Power Pole Problems

The Sussex Fire Department and NB Power crews were on scene Friday afternoon at the corner of Marble and Maple after residents heard what sounded like an explosion coming from a telephone pole. The top of the pole was seen smouldering just after 2pm, Sussex Fire Chief Harold Lowe reported, the top of the pole had a crack in it. With the heavy rains at the time, electricity worked its way into the crack, and literally burned the top of the pole off above the transformers! Power officials had to shut down the power grid for a couple of hours to allow for safe removal of the top piece from the pole, which was no longer attached.