More Eagles Killed by Lead Poisoning

A Nova Scotia veterinarian says another eagle has died due to lead poisoning. Dr. Helene VanDoninck says the third lead-poisoned eagle of the season arrived at the Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre on Wednesday and died Thursday. She says it had high levels of lead, which affects the nervous system and hinders a bird’s ability to fly to find food. Birds ingest lead when eating the remains of animals shot with lead ammunition, or from swallowing lead tackle or eating fish that have swallowed it.