Stranded tanker now in Sydney Harbour

The tanker that ran aground off the coast of Little Pond in Cape Breton is now secured at a dock in Sydney Harbour.

The Coast Guard says it took more than 100 people, several government agencies, harbour authorities, a salvage company and resources from across the Atlantic region to finally free the 53-metre vessel yesterday.  It less time than expected for two tugs to hail the tanker off the sandy bottom where it had been stuck for a week.  The Coast Guard says there was no indication of any pollution or fuel leaking from its tanks.

NS teacher talks

Contract talks between the province and teachers union are set to resume today under a media blackout.  Saturday the talks were off.  Now they’re back on again.

The two sides are coming off a public skirmish last week.  The province raised questions about teachers professional development travel to Hawaii during a work-to-rule campaign.  The union said teachers were granted travel permission, including for those who attended an education conference last week in Hawaii before the work to rule began.